Pages

 photo Home2_zps584dacc9.jpg  photo AboutMe_zps9f51f715.jpg  photo Discla_zps31000308.jpg

Thursday 12 September 2013

A Beginner's Guide to Eyeliner- #SBBC

IMG_0361 When it comes to eyeliners there are so many options, and when I was a real beginner, I was so confused, they all seemed to do the same thing, just all differently. So why not take advantage of today's SBBC topic which is a comparison and compile a little beginner's guide to set them all out, as well as some pointers and some pros and cons.

  1. Pencil Eyeliner (Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil in Zero Pictured) - Pencil eyeliners are brilliant to work with and I particularly love this one since it applies perfectly and gives the blackest black payoff. The are great to use for smokey eye looks, for example you can line your upper lash line then smudge with either a brush or your finger and voila, a smokey eye. I find it near impossible to create a wing with pencil eyeliners, especially with this one since it has a very creamy consistency.

  2. Crayon Eyeliner (Physician's Formula Black Eyeliner for Brown Eyes Pictured) - I cannot stress how amazing crayon eyeliners are. When I was starting out sometimes I didn't like the occasional harshness that I got with a pencil eyeliner and invested in a MAC crayon eyeliner and fell in love. They are so easy to apply and clearly don't need to be sharpened. I really like using crayon eyeliners for the upper lash line but I would have to emphasize how great the work on the waterline and lower lash line. I would say the only con is that again, it is hard to create a wing with crayon eyeliners.

  3. Felt Tip or Pen Eyeliner (Essence Eyeliner Pen Pictured) - Okay guys, let me calm down, I own wayyyy too many eyeliner pens. Once I discovered the amazingness which is the eyeliner pen, I kinda lost my shit. When I was starting out with makeup, I was having such a problem with lining my upper lash line and trying to learn how to do a wing (I'm aware I'm not the only person who had this learning curve.) These were my saviour! I find that I get a hell more stability with an eyeliner pen since I can hold it closer to the end whereas I can't do that with liquid eyeliner. My tip is to try and get an idea of how thick the pen is and also the density, because some pens can be extremely thin and flexible whereas some are stiff and thick.

  4. Liquid Eyeliner (NYX Liquid Eye Liner in 01 Black Pictured) - I've never had a good experience with liquid eyeliner, but I still wanted to try it out. I know that eventually with practice I will be able to get the hang of it but i really like the stability that I get with eyeliner pens. I would say the pro of liquid eyeliner is that the payoff and precision (if you can do it!) is absolutely spectacular and looks super duper professional. A con is probably that it is difficult to learn that there isn't any room to smudge and create a smokey eye.

  5. Last but not least, Gel Eyeliner (Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black Pictured) - Gel eyeliners are amazing, beginners listen up! The application process is so flippin' simple, I was blown away. This product in particular comes with a brush, that I personally don't like but I have friends who do like it. I do recommend an angled brush for better precision. It is so easy to build gel liner and creating a nice little wing doesn't become a complete stress meltdown.


I hope that was a decent introduction to the wonderful world to eyeliner, my one big tip is to practice. I mean I still kinda suck at eyeliner but compared to a year or even a few months ago, I've improved heaps, just from practice and getting comfortable with what sort you like best. What's you're favourtie type of eyeliner? What ones do you want to try out?

No comments:

Post a Comment