Pages

 photo Home2_zps584dacc9.jpg  photo AboutMe_zps9f51f715.jpg  photo Discla_zps31000308.jpg

Friday 22 November 2013

What I've Been Reading

 I can't quite pinpoint the spark in my reading habits, it could be the extra rain slash the start of storm season, or the fact that uni is over and done with and I feel obliged to get back on track or lastly, that my sister is the biggest reader that I've ever met and has been hounding me to read more forever. I thought I would share with you the last three books that I've read and give a small little review on each of them.
Carrie by Stephen King
Firstly, I can't stress how many Stephen King books my sister owns and since it was getting close to Halloween when I picked this up, I asked her which one wasn't too big and was still kinda creepy. She immediately suggested Carrie and I thought it would be a great idea to read, since the re-imaging of the film is being released soon and I really would like to see it.

The book itself was amazing, and I was enthralled by both Carrie's powers and behaviors and the reactions of her mother and fellow school-goers. Her mother's strict religious beliefs and the fact that it had such a negative influence on Carrie was both wonderful and dreadfully terrifying to read.

I give it a 4/5, this is mainly because of the length, It was quite short and I felt that even though the story and it's characters were brilliant, there wasn't enough to pump it up to 5.

Transmetropolitan Vol 1: Back on the Street
I'm fully aware that some people don't classify graphic novels as books, but technically I have been reading this and well, I really liked it and wanted to share that with you.

The general concept is easy to get with, A famous writer who had retreated to the mountains is forced to join society to finish an unfinished book contract. In order to finish these books he must obtain a job and residency and thus gets a job as a column writer. All seems good for the protagonist, except I didn't mention, it's set far beyond the perimiters of what science fiction predicts. There's crazy religions, drugs, alien transcients and well just a whole lot of crazy stuff.

I gave this one a 4/5 :D

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Heads up, Neil Gaiman is my favourite author and this year I've been positively addicted to his books and will continue to be enthralled by his work. I ordered this one a while back and it's been tempting me with it's gorgeous cover for awhile. I decided to pick it up the other day and read a little.....so yeah, I finished the whole book in nearly one sitting! That was such a big deal for me since I'm normally such a slow reader but I suppose since this book crosses the line between young adult and childrens book, the language was a little easier to read.

The story is about a young boy, Nobody Owens who is adopted by a graveyard full of ghosts after the murder of his family. It follows his journey of growing up and being raised by the deceased residents of the graveyard.

5/5 anytime! I was completely in love with this book from the moment I started to read, constructed perfectly and absolutely gorgeous story about the importance of life and family.

So what have you been reading? I'd love to hear your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment